Know any really great Teachers of Chemistry? This is our fourth year of administering the Gladysmae Good – Chemistry Teacher of the Year award to honor a very special teacher of chemistry in our local schools. Congratulations to Erica Posthuma-Adams from University HS, our first recipient and Stacie Stoffregen (Greencastle Middle School) who won this award in 2016, and Lori White (Cascade High School), our 2017 recipient. This award recognizes, encourages, and stimulates outstanding teachers of high school chemistry in the Indiana Local Section and will be presented at our Awards Banquet at UIndy on May 15th.
The nominee must be actively engaged in the teaching of chemistry or a chemical science in a k-12 classroom in the Indiana Local Section. The nomination should clearly demonstrate as many of the following attributes as possible:
- The quality of the nominee’s teaching; unusually effective methods of presentation should be emphasized
- The nominee’s ability to challenge and inspire students
- Extracurricular work in chemistry or a chemical science by the nominee, including science fairs, science clubs, and activities that stimulate the interest of young people in chemistry and related sciences
- A willingness to keep up-to-date in the field, as evidenced by active engagement in professional organizations such as AACT, ACS, HASTI, NSTA, AMTA, or other such organizations. Enrollment in refresher courses and summer institutes, regular attendance at scientific meetings, participation in local, state, and national conferences, publishing in scientific or educational journals, and other means of self-improvement
- Commitment to the Local Section K-12 community through building relationships with other educators and volunteering at Local Section sponsored events
- Evidence of leadership and/or active involvement within the profession
Please send a letter of nomination to email@example.com by the end of business of April 27th, 2018.