The Indiana Section of the American Chemical Society (ACS) is sponsoring an illustrated poem contest for students Kindergarten – 12th grade. Classes are divided into four groups: K-2, Grades 3-5,Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12. All entries will be displayed at Celebrate Science Indiana on October 6th at the Indiana State Fairgrounds where the winners will be announced. The awards ceremony is November 3rd at the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis during Science Day. Winners of the Indiana illustrated poem contest will advance to the ACS National Illustrated Poem Contest!
Prizes will be awarded for each age group:
1st Place – $100
2nd Place – $50
3rd Place – $25
Send official entries with the 2018 Illustrated Poem Contest Entry Form as a pdf file to Linda Osborn or send by mail to Linda Osborn; 6320 Intech Way Indianapolis, IN 46278. All entries must be received by midnight September 20th.
- Poems must conform to a particular style. No poem may be longer than 40 words.
- The topic of the poem and the illustration must be related to the NCW 2018 theme, “Chemistry is Out of This World” with a focus on chemistry of and in outerspace.
- All entries must be original works without aid from others.
- Each poem must be submitted and illustrated on an unlined sheet of paper 8.5” x 11”. The illustration must be created by hand using crayons, watercolors, other types of paint colored pencils or markers. The text of the poem should be easy to read and may be printed with a computer, before the hand-drawn illustration is added, or the poem may be written on lined paper which is cut out and pasted onto the unlined paper with the illustration.
- Only one entry per student will be accepted.
- All entries must include an entry form.
- All illustrated poems and/or digital representations of the poems become the property of the American Chemical Society.
- Acceptance of prizes constitutes consent to use winners’ names, likenesses and entries for editorial, advertising and publicity purposes.