PURPOSE AND ROLE:
This Research Chemist is responsible for crude oil feed-stock testing, all Calumet laboratory equipment, procedures and methods development, equipment calibrations, training of lab technicians and other duties.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluates potential new crude oil feedstocks via distillation and analytical testing and reports/inputs results into the database.
- Leads and supports the development and improvement of lab test methods and procedures.
- Install and maintain new instruments, write lab methods and help train all lab personnel.
- Ensure lab equipment is operating correctly and can meet all requirements.
- Performs required maintenance and calibration of all laboratory equipment.
- Review and evaluate all results and work with Operations to generate material conclusions.
- Work with R&D, Operations, etc. on the introduction of new products including setting up test methods and specifications.
- Manage laboratory supplies and inventory
- Leads and/or works with other departments on inquires.
- Manages and coordinates the handling of inbound and outbound samples.
- Capable of maintaining detailed records in research notebooks.
- Employ creativity and problem solvent skills to find solutions to business opportunities.
- Perform chemical, performance and stability testing of materials by operating assigned laboratory equipment and cross training on all other laboratory equipment as directed in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ensure data integrity and cleanliness of the laboratory.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four year College or University (preferably in Chemistry)
- Preferably 7 or more years of Petroleum or Chemical related experience and/or training
- Proficiency with and maintains current knowledge of ASTM petroleum test methods.
- Maintain confidentiality of intellectual property and data.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Good working knowledge of lab methods and procedures, preferably in the Petroleum industry
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to work effectively with personnel at all levels
- Team player
- Effectively communicates at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated decision making and analytical skills
- Results driven, action oriented, and delivers on commitments
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Package, including word processing, spreadsheets, database, presentation software, electronic mail and scheduling
- Experience and understanding of standardized and non-standardized test methods.
- Motivated, self-starter and able to work self-sufficiently.
- Effective time management and multitasking skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative environment with others both internal and external to Calumet.